The world leader in the production and distribution of innovative surfaces for architecture and design, Cosentino is pleased to announce that the Cosentino Design Challenge Jury has selected the winners of the 8th edition. Prizes are awarded for two categories, Architecture and Design and each category was awarded with three individual prizes of €1,000 each.
The Cosentino Design Challenge is a competition for design, architecture and interior architecture students anywhere in the world. It aims to foster the talent of students and promote research into the different conceptual approaches to the layout of spaces, materials and the construction systems that define them, using materials made by The Cosentino Group.
This year’s competition received a total of 212 applications; 72 projects for the architecture category and 140 projects for the design category.
A total of twelve prestigious institutions, schools and international universities have actively participated in the Cosentino Design Challenge 2014.
The winners of the Architecture prize (awarded € 1,000 each), whose objective was to take a historic or iconic building anywhere in the world, change its primary use to another of the participant’s choice, paying special attention to its skin, were:
- “DEKTON SPACE INVADERS” from Samuel Gamez Garcia (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Mil Miradas” from Alberto Abia Cantero (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Casa de aire y sombra” from José Roldán Ballesteros and Laura García Corbalán (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Granada, Spain)
Cosentino Design Challenge Architecture Acknowledgements:
- “Creando atmosferas” from Tamara Navarro Rodríguez (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Dekton It Yourself” from Patricia Moreno Ramos and Maricruz Pedrera Molina (Escuela Superior de Arquitectura de Sevilla, Spain)
- “San Lorenzo Florencia” from David García Muñoz (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
The winners of the Design prize (awarded € 1,000 each), whose objective was to focus on “Cosentino and art”, giving careful consideration to the relationship between art, space, the observer and Cosentino products, were:
- “INMORTAL” from Roberto Garcia Rebolledo (Escuela artediez de Madrid, Spain)
- “Arte Sacro vs Cosentino” from Policarpo del Canto Baquera (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Refreshing Stones” from Michiel van Gageldonk (Design Academy Endhoven, Holland)
Cosentino Design Challenge: Design Acknowledgement:
- “Re: Build The Stage” (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “PIXELSTONE” from Samuel Gámez García (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Mausolo” from David García Muñoz (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid, Spain)
- “Using Lines” from Luuk van Laarhoven (Design Academy Endhoven, Holland)
The competition’s verdict took place on 24th of June, in the cultural center CaixaForum in Madrid. The 2014 jury was composed of representatives from some schools and universities that have collaborated in the competition: Mr. Rudolf Arnout van Oosterhout from the Dutch school Design Academy Eindhoven; Ms. Endriana Audisho from the Australian University of Technology Sydney; Mr. Giacomo Bertolazzi from Istituto Europeo di Design; Ms. Isabel Plaza de la Escuela de Arte número 10 de Madrid; Mr. Raúl Fraga from Escuela de Arquitectura de Madrid; Ms. Carmen Galán from Escuela de Arquitectura de Sevilla; Mr. Jose Ramón Gonzalez from Escuela de Arte de Almería; Mr. Jorge Marín from Escuela Superior de Diseño de Alicante; Ms. Taciana Laredo, from Universidad de Zaragoza and Mr. Félix Arranz from Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Barcelona. The architect Héctor Ruiz Velazquez was also invited to take part in this jury. Santiago Alfonso, Director of Communication and Marketing represented the Cosentino Group.
During this meeting, proposals for the theme of the ninth edition of the Cosentino Design Challenge was discussed, which will be launched later this year.
The posters of the winners are available on the website of the International Competition Cosentino Design Challenge: www.cosentinodesignchallenge.org