The new head office for Peters Ice Cream by Gray Puksand, located in Melbourne, makes the most of the existing landscape and takes additional inspiration from its natural surrounds: slender steel columns imitate gum trees to create the illusion of a two-storey structure that lightly connects the ground. The project demonstrates a different office typology by the way it is positioned into the natural terrain.
The most striking feature is a butterfly-shaped roof made of wide ALUCOBOND® eaves that floats over the car park and forms a bullnose edge.
Kelly Wellington, an associate at Gray Puksand, said:
“By using the existing topography, we lifted up the building to create a dramatic entry with the tilted butterfly roof and a car park below the offices,”
On the south side, angular precast panels maintain thermal comfort through passive design.
The building was also designed to achieve a minimum 4.5-star NABERS Energy Rating.
- Project Name: Peters Ice Cream
- Country: Australia
- Location: 254-294 Wellington Road Mulgrave VIC 3170
- Material: 4mm ALUCOBOND® plus 8mm Trespa FR
- Qty in sqm: 892m2 – ALUCOBOND®, 280m2 – Trespa
- Year Completed: 2016
- Colour 1: Anthracite Grey 105 – 126m2
- Colour 2: Dark Grey Metallic 505 – 766m2
- Colour 3: Trespa Halmstad – 280m22
- Construction / Fixing detail: Fixed Cassette
- Owner / Investor: Peters Ice Cream
- Architect / Designer: Gray Puksand Pty Ltd
- Fabricator / Installator: Alclad (ALUCOBOND®), Acoustic Control Australia (Trespa)