Previewing the annual BREEAM Awards, an international celebration of excellence in sustainable buildings, which will take place on 4 March in London
The project teams, clients and buildings shortlisted for the annual BREEAM Awards represent significant achievement in sustainable building design, development and management. Over 2.2 million buildings are registered under BREEAM and there are more than half a million projects with BREEAM certificates globally. The initial shortlists are created by taking the highest scoring projects certified under BREEAM each year.
Commercial Projects – Design
- New Logic III – The Tube, Tilburg This distribution centre is developer Dokvast’s fifth BREEAM Outstanding building.
- New Logic V, Tilburg This design by DENC includes airtight construction, triple glazing, an 8,250 square metre photovoltaic installation, and rainwater recycling for toilet flushing.
- Unilever Global Foods Innovation Centre The centre’s design focuses on the themes of health, flexibility, energy usage, and material efficiency and “circularity.”
- Universal Music Group HQ, London Universal Studios wanted to equal the standard of its nearby HQ building.
- Van Gelder Groente & Fruit facility Fruit and vegetable company Van Gelder is developing a state-of-the-art complex in Ridderkerk, Netherlands.
- Van Oers United BV facility Sustainable features include re-use of cold and heat from the cooling system for climate control in offices, and rainwater recycling.
Commercial Projects – Post-Construction
- 1-9 Seymour Street, London The Portman Estate maintained high sustainability standards throughout.
- Bloomberg London The building in the City of London is already a multi-award winner.
- Building R7, London A project in London’s King’s Cross that continues leading developer Argent’s commitment to achieving the highest levels of environmental certification.
- Deloitte’s 1 New Street Square Environmental and wellbeing were key priorities for the fit-out of Deloitte’s new office in London.
- EUIPO Edificio AA3 The latest addition to the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) campus in Alicante.
- Scherpenhuizen The fruit and vegetable supplier targeted BREEAM Very Good for this distribution centre in Eindhoven, evolved to Excellent, and by the building’s concept phase was targeting Outstanding.
Commercial Projects – In-Use
- BINARIUM Business Center The regeneration of this old industrial building in Romania has taken a circular approach, with the existing structure combined with Cradle-to-Cradle certified products, FSC certified wood, and durable materials.
- Edificio Beatriz One of Madrid’s most significant late 20th century buildings – now a multi-tenanted office block.
- Forum Mersin BREEAM New Construction and BREEAM In-Use have helped Forum Mersin in Turkey to improve its processes, and manage cooperation between landlord, tenants and staff.
Public Projects – Design
- Barry Building Part of the Royal College of Surgeons’ (RCS) historic campus in central London, this project retains and enhances its Grade II listed element while replacing a 1950s section.
- CollectieCentrum Nederland Art and heritage collections of the Rijksmuseum, the Holland Open Air Museum, Paleis Het Loo and the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands are being brought together in this shared sustainable storage centre.
- Ny Horten VGS This secondary school is the first public building in Norway to achieve BREEAM Outstanding design-stage certification.
- The Marshall Building Exemplary standards of sustainable design are incorporated into the design of the London School of Economics and Political Science’s (LSE) Marshall Building.
- University College London Hospital Phase 4 A state-of-the-art cancer and surgical care facility is being constructed in central London, much of it underground.
- Urbanest Vine Street The mixed-use scheme, combines student accommodation with workspace and exhibition space, has achieved high levels in all categories of the BREEAM assessment.
Public Projects – Post-Construction
- Howardian Primary School/Ysgol Gynradd Howardian Sustainability and good value can go hand in hand, as this new primary school in central Cardiff demonstrates.
- National College for High Speed Rail This college on the outskirts of Doncaster provides learning spaces in a highly efficient and comfortable building, designed to stand the test of a changing climate while providing a local economic boost.
- Rhyl New School Students are benefitting from this new sustainable, energy efficient and modern school.
- Ysgol Bro Gwaun Rural areas can present challenges in creating all-round sustainable development, but this new teaching block for a Pembrokeshire school has achieved BREEAM Excellent through its robust and elegant design.
- Ysgol Glan Morfa Sustainable design is helping to limit the running costs of this new 420-pupil primary school in Cardiff.
Public Projects – In-Use
- Björsjö 42:3 Health and wellbeing of building occupants is a priority for this retirement home in Gävle, Sweden.
- Dolomiten 1 An optimal indoor climate was high on the agenda for this retirement home in Norrtälje, Sweden.
- Landvetter Airport Terminal, Gothenburg Terminal owner Swedavia is constantly working to improve its buildings as part of its broader economic, social and ecological aims.
- Ratten 4 A retirement facility in Örebro, Sweden, is applying BREEAM In-Use to identify and measure the scope for environmental improvements.
- Tabellen 3 Reviewing the heating and cooling system at the District Court building in Atunda, Sweden, offered the potential to deliver significant benefits.
- Tabellen 4 Since BREEAM In-Use was applied, a programme of sustainability works for this Swedish facility has been targeted, including a shift to LED lighting.
Homes Projects – Design
- 1 Queen Anne’s Gate This development in Westminster has included demolition of dilapidated buildings, new build and the retention of a Grade II listed facade.
- Falconhoven L-blok Apartments Developer CIP sought to create homes in Antwerp that would offer residents a valuable and sustainable investment for lifetime living.
- Morley House The Crown Estate’s scheme is being redeveloped behind retained Portland stone facades to provide 44 apartments.
- Nomadic House Developer FRT Developments had never targeted BREEAM until it came to work on its Nomadic House scheme in west London.
Homes – Post-Construction
- 122-126 Chancery Lane A 35-home development in central London, which combines a grade II listed Victorian facade with contemporary living space.
- 16 Winchester Walk Retaining as much of the external building fabric as possible was a key driver in the conversion and extension of this nineteenth century former hop warehouse.
- 33 Bury Street This grade II listed building in St James’s, central London, has been returned to predominantly residential use.
- North Stoneham Park, Phase 1 BREEAM Communities has been an integral design tool and framework from the outset to create a sustainable community.
- Hoover Building The iconic Hoover Building in west London, has been converted to residential use after laying dormant for more than a decade.
Rewarding regions, real estate, and professions There are also Regional Awards for the Americas, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, and Western Europe. For the latter region, the projects shortlisted are Bloomberg London, New Logic III (Tilburg), Deloitte’s 1 New Street Square (London) EUIPO Edificio AA3 (Alicante), Unilever Global Foods Innovation Centre (Wageningen, Netherlands, Van Oers United BV facility (Dinteloord, Netherlands). Awards will also be made for the best performing BREEAM assessors, as well as categories for architects and M&E consultants who have scored consistently highly in BREEAM projects. For the third year in succession, real estate assessment body GRESB and BREEAM are working together to recognise the achievement of “responsible real estate investors.” The 2019 awards ceremony takes place at the Hilton Bankside on the evening of Monday 4 March – the eve of Futurebuild at London ExCel (the event is one of the awards’ partners). More details on the awards can be found at the website: www.breeam.com/awards